Liaising closely with the ministries of Health from the seven countries, the RESAOLAB program is conducted and based around five areas:
- Improving regional and national governance of laboratory systems;
- Improving laboratory services by setting up a standardized quality system;
- Consolidating initial training and continuing education for laboratory staff;
- Setting up a Laboratory Information System (LIS) in the network’s main laboratories;
- Reinforcing national laboratory maintenance and management systems, through a regional approach.
An operational unit, established in each ministry, is in charge of setting up activities under the supervision of a national steering committee and an international steering committee, the meetings of which are held once a year in order to follow-up on activities in the regions. The project stakeholders also meet every year at theme-based workshops in order to concordantly propose and implement various activities related to medical biology.